I mentioned a few posts ago that I have a girl crush on Mama Kat over at Mama’s Losin’ it. Mama Kat, along with being hilariously funny, also has a little writer’s workshop that I thought would be fun to do on this blog. Join me on Thursday’s for some writer workshop shenanigans starting with… TODAY!
This week I’m choosing this prompt:
Something students these days should know.
LOL! I have so many things to say about this, and since 98% of my students are girls, you will find my advice geared mostly towards the female variety.
1) It’s not worth fighting over a boy. There are THOUSANDS of them out there. Literally. Actually, literally there are billions or trillions more! Wait til you get to college….you’re going to be like, “WHAT? Why did I waste my times with stupid “Johnny” in highschool??” I mean, I know you think he has the cutest dimples and that he’s funny and all, but college boys (and then professional boys- let’s face it, they are all boys) are way funnier. Take my word on this!
2) All of these dramatic antics of high school will mean nothing later in life. Really. Nothing. I mean, you’ll have some fond memories, and maybe even some bad, but you will forget the details…especially the part where Alexia gave you a funny look and utterly annoyed you every single day in class sophomore year which then caused you to have laser beam hatred towards her, so you started a rumor that she had an STD. I’m just sayin.
3) Life isn’t so glamorous after high school. I KNOW you think that you will be travelling all over the world, moving to New York, or buying Louboutin’s for fancy night’s out, but the fact is that you are not going to have ANY MONEY! Instead you’re going to pay out your bills and then be left with approximately -$62.33 until your next paycheck. In two weeks…
4) Mom and Dad are not always going to be there to bail you out. You can have the most loving and supportive family there is, but there comes a time when they can’t help you. Like, when my clutch belt thingy broke and I was stuck at a light unable to change gears and I called my dad 2.5 hours away crying. He said to me, “What do you want me to do? I’m 2.5 hours away. Maybe you should put on your emergency lights and call a tow truck.” That’s when it hit me that I was a grown up and that I needed to put my big girl panties on.
5) This is the only body you’re going to get, so treat it right! Every year of my life I’ve felt like I needed to go on a diet and I treated it poorly by restricting and taking diet pills (ephedra and I were best buds one day long long ago- I miss you *tear). I look back at those pictures and wish I still had that body! I can’t believe I was so terrible to it. I’m sorry body. I still hate you, but I do feel bad I mistreated you in the 90’s, if that’s any consolation.
Want to join the workshop? Click on the button below to get more information.